At Characters of Character we believe that instilling positive character traits at an early age increases a child's ability to flourish. Characters of Character has created nine characters-each one correlates with a different trait-that allow the children to connect to the character and internalize their message. Our Characters include Behavior Bear, Do'er Duck, Friendship Frog, Healthy Hippo, Manners Monkey, Respectful Rabbit, Responsible Rabbit, Self-Esteem Elephant and Warm-Hearted Walrus.
" Making A Difference One Child At A Time" Shop on Amazon
1) Read a story
Don't take a good book for granted. Not only is this a great way to pass the time, but it can also be a great way to open a discussion to a topic you've been meaning to talk to your children (or students) about. Characters of Character has a great selection of books available on Amazon.
2) Write a letter Do you remember how exciting it was to receive a letter in the mail before the only thing you received were bills? Writing to others will encourage friendly behavior. Be sure to continue to encourage writing letters, whether it be to a grandparent, friend, or pen-pal, once the rain passes.
3) Color If you don't have coloring books on hand, Characters of Character offers free printable color pages.
4) Build a fort Forts allow children to use their imagination in ways that adults forget to utilize. You don't need anything additional for this fun rainy day activity -- just use whatever you have around your home!
7) Cook a meal Whether you're whipping up a multi-generational family recipe or finding something new on Pinterest, memories like cooking with your children are ones that are sure to be cherished. Be sure to let them help as much as possible - from mixing ingredients to cleaning up (whatever their age is appropriate for, of course! Safety first!)
Do'er Duck Finished Painting
from Characters of Character Painting Kit
8) Paint Characters of Character has released painting kits for each of our nine Characters! The kit includes everything you'll need to create your very own Character painting, each featuring a positively awesome message. Best part? You're supporting Characters of Character with each purchase. Makes a great gift idea come the holiday season for teachers, parents, grandkids, and everyone in between! Do'er Duck Painting Kit is available here.
9) Have a photoshoot We live in a world where people associate pictures with narcism, but I beg to differ. Marking memories with photos is something that will be cherished for years to come. Don't just sit behind the screen taking silly selfies, switch it up! Grab some old clothes or makeup and really glam up your photoshoot and let loose. These days with them being young won't last forever & you'll be thankful for those silly photos someday.
10) Listen to a story podcast Remember the film A Christmas Story where the family gathers round the radio to listen to the radio show? Think of a podcast as the modern A Christmas Story scene. Your children will need to be more engaged to pay attention and it would be a great way to test their attention span by asking questions after the story ends.
We hope you enjoyed our list of 10 rainy day activities! Be sure to head over to CharactersofCharacter.org for more information.
From left to right: Warm-Hearted Walrus, Healthy Hippo, Friendship Frog, Do'er Duck, Behavior Bear, Manners Monkey, Self-Esteem Elephant, Respectful Rabbit, Responsible Rabbit
Married with children since 1981. Love working with children and sharing the Characters of Character.